[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
artofbonsai.org • View topic - Contest Discussion
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:22 pm 
Editor

I agree Mike, but if you, I or anyone knows of someone who has world class bonsai they should make it their mission to see they are entered, even if their trees are better than your trees, my trees, any-one's tree, even if it means you, me or someone has to take and post the pictures for them.
Dorthy: I am 61 years old and probably one of the oldest flatulent emissions doing bonsai today; at least that I know of personally. I learned how to go digital, how to work with a computer and how important good photos are to the art of Bonsai. Digital photography has become pretty simple and talk about cheap once you get past the equipment. I have a hard time buying the Old School argument that I am too old to learn this and that and everything else.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:56 pm 
Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:17 pm 

The plot is thickening - some great trees are being entered.
So far with limited samples submitted I'd hazard an observation - it seems the North American trees are much more stylistically diverse. The European trees are good but seem similar stylewise. Of course only 8 trees from Europe have entered so far.
This competition may open some eyes all around the world.
Keep them coming!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:37 pm 

You do have a point there, Rob. However, only trees from Italy were submited as european entries. It is natural that they are stylistically similar.
The british, the germans, the dutch and the austrians haven't yet come to play. I would expect some very good entries from the czecks and the polish too. And we also must leave some room for the surprises that might stem from other less bonsaistically known european countries.
...and lets not forget the array of style that a certain Austrian artist living near Munich can bring to the contest.
I believe (or better, I hope...) that in the end the style of the trees from both regions will be similarly diverse.
Pedro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:57 pm 
Editor

I think that the delay in seing more European trees right now comes from the fact that their trees are barely coming out of winter dormancy, whereas in many parts of the US they are already in full swing.
Hopefully they will start coming in the month ahead.

Post subject: Status Europe
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm 

For my part, I am waiting for the trees to develop their new leaves after winter dormancy, and preparing them for the contest (trimming leaves, correcting smaller branches, developing surface mosses i.e.) before entering the contest. The preparation of my bonsai begins some months before an exhibition in order to time it right. In this case, I wait for the best possible time to take the photographs, when the bonsai is presented at its best.
So I enter the contest later, when the trees are ready to show.

Regards
Morten Albek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:16 pm 
Editor

Also,we have not seen the top trees from the States yet.I believe we will
get some great bonsai material in that will surprise all of us.
We need to keep motivating these artists to enter their trees,that's what
I think.
-dorothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:05 pm 

Last edited by Will Heath on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm 
Editor

By the way, if there is any doubt about the intention of Will's "reverse psychology comments", I am pretty sure he meant something like this:
"Hey guys (North Americans), we are seing some really great European entries, threatening to blow us away, so let's show them that we are no pushovers".
It's all in good fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:01 pm 

As of today we have recieved 57 North American entries and 13 European entries. I have five more North American entries to post today.
With a month left to enter, the contest is starting to heat up.
Good luck to all,

Will

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next