It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shohin Cotoneaster horisontalis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 am 

Attachment:
cotoneaster_horisontalis.jpg
cotoneaster_horisontalis.jpg [ 37.25 KiB | Viewed 2665 times ]

Cotoneaster horizontalis
Age of bonsai: 1985
Height: 4 inches/10 cm
In training since 1995
Nursery stock.
Pot: Tokoname
(Photographed in late autumn 2004).
This Shohin still needs a little more refinement, and details in the leaf crown. I have planned to perform the necessary operation during this coming season.
Also the jin needs a small correction to optimize the tree.
Due to a week part of roots, I let it grow more than was planned last season. Feeding and carefully pruning has now balanced the growth and the weakened roots shows good growth again.
Any comments and critics are welcome.
Kind regards
Morten Albek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:34 pm 
Editor

Hi Morten,
Wonderful little tree, that trunk has a lot of character.
Rare to see Cotoneaster horizontalis with a trunk this thick relative to height. Is the jin you are talking about on the right side, slightly overhanging the rim of the pot?
I have a few horizontalis myself, but it takes forever to thicken the trunk, even if grown in the ground. And I mean, FOREVER.
So, what you have is very rare indeed.
Regards,
Attila

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:57 pm 
Editor

Morten,
a little gem you have got here. I like it very much. I am not so sure about the pot. What do you think?
Walter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:15 pm 
Editor

Funny thing happened as I watched this tree for a few minutes.
Suddenly, I see a parrot with its beak on the left side of the trunk, eye on the middle of the trunk and the crown as its crest.
How about calling it The Parrot? (following the Asian tradition of naming the tree).
Pretty cool.

Post subject: Pot and parrot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:27 pm 

Hi? Walter
I too have had my thoughts about the choice of pot. Maybe a rectangular pot will be more suitable? I think it has to be a pot with fewer colours. Something like a dark grey burned colour. Just more wabi sabi, if you can follow me. A pot that will make the flowers and fruits stand up more clearly, and at the same time the pot might need to have a little movement in order to underline the trunk.
It is though a tough job to find the perfect pot for Shohins. Only a little difference in size or thickness will ruin the harmony and balance. In other words; I haven?t been lucky to find the perfect pot yet.
Any suggestions that will lead to a suitable pot will be rewarded with thanks immediately.
Hi? Attila
I like your parrot idea. Funny.
Regarding the jin, it is not so clear to see, because it is hidden a bit behind the lowest leaves that was let to grow a bit last season. The jin might need a bend or just to be shortened. I will upload a picture later this season when the corrections are fore filled.
You are right about how hard and time consuming it is to achieve thick trunks at Cotoneasters. I try to seek specimens that already have these advantages, because it will take to much time to start from the bottom with this specimen.
Regards
Morten Albek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:18 pm 

Quote:
a little gem you have got here. I like it very much.

I'll echo that. What wonderful Winter foliage, too! Hm. I must go and have a look at the Cotoneasters hor. that are growing in my garden.
Since you are going to the EBA convention, Morten, you'll have a great opportunity of getting just the right pot for this babe, plus plenty of good advice -- no doubt that thought occurred to you also.
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:23 pm 

Wonderful little tree Morten. I enjoy the pot that it is planted in now. The design that is etched into the pot flows perfectly with the trunk of the tree.
Regards,
Charles Bevan

Post subject: This is the pot
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:43 am 

Thanks for the comments Charles and others. I have had my thoughts about the choice of pot, and was recently in deep doubts about if it was the right pot I had chosen.
Therefore I was thinking of changing the pot into a rectangular simpler pot. So as I anyway wanted to give the tree some growth during this season I transplanted it into a bigger pot. (Next year it will be transplanted into the right size of container again, after a season of increased growth, in order to keep the tree healthy). The training pot is rectangular, more greyish brown, and pretty much like the one I planned the tree to be situated in after the growing season. Especially the rectangular pot kills the movement of the tree, but it also makes the overall composition weaker. The round pot underlines the movement and I think even the colour go pretty well with the leaves, the trunk and the flowers. I will post a picture next spring, when the tree flowers again.
This convinced me that the Cotoneaster has to go back to the original pot as seen at the present picture, after the training season,. So the pot will stand on its shelf and wait for the tree to come back in autumn.

Regards
Morten Albek

Post subject: pot
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:50 am 

The pot seems a tad small to my eyes; the base seems to hang over the edge, and it has a jammed-in feeling. I think a rectangular, and very sharp edged, pot would do.
Gorgeous tree; wish they grew well down in this area (where we're so soggy this spring the trees all have gills).

Post subject: Choice of pot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:23 pm 

I'd be inclined to try it in a light tan unglazed pot, perhaps cloud-shaped, or even a cream glazed rectangle.
I have a light tan oval with an outcurved lip that would be very good for it, but I don't usually give away 100-year old master-made pots.

Post subject: Re: Shohin Cotoneaster horisontalis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 am 

Well, the photo is from 3 years ago. The Cotoneasterhas a new pot for some time now. Here is an update.

Regards
Morten

Attachments:
DSC00846.jpg
DSC00846.jpg [ 113.09 KiB | Viewed 2702 times ]

Post subject: Re: Shohin Cotoneaster horisontalis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:15 am 

Best application and best photo congratulation.I have see this application in your web site.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]