[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
artofbonsai.org • View topic - Blind In One Eye
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Blind In One Eye
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:09 pm 
Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:49 am 

Walter,
There is a lot of truth in your words, thank you for posting them.
After reading this, I have come to the conclusion that I may well be blind in both eyes at times.
I am in the unenviable position of seeing photographs of world-class trees on a daily basis and am expected to judge which are suitable for this forum (thankfully there are more experienced editors here than myself to help) as well as communicating with and interviewing the artists who created them. I have also attended many shows here in the U.S. but never an overseas show, although I have seen bonsai overseas, and I have visited a few collections here in the U.S.
I am quite aware, and am reminded of the fact every day, that I am sorely outclassed in talent at this time. Each day, after viewing all these excellent bonsai, I tend to my own, it is hard for one to uphold illusions in this situation.
The words you spoke about seeing the future in one's bonsai hit home, unfortunately that future does not photograph well at all.
I take it you are suggesting that we spend more time viewing quality trees in person, comparing them to pictures, and by doing so, heal our eye?
How do you judge your own trees Walter, against what is being created by others, against your previous work, or against your own expectations based on your inspirations?

Will

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:10 am 
Editor

Attachments:
File comment: the logo tree as of fall 2006. I am quite unhappy about it and will radically redesign it.
Dsc_5350v_filtered.jpg
Dsc_5350v_filtered.jpg [ 139.83 KiB | Viewed 62375 times ]
File comment: this was the picture that I submitted for the WBFF world contest. at that time I already did NOT lik
Dsc_3985v.jpg
Dsc_3985v.jpg [ 166.04 KiB | Viewed 62375 times ]

Last edited by Walter Pall on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:41 am 
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:09 pm 
Editor

Last edited by Attila Soos on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:14 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:48 pm 
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:08 pm 
Editor

Last edited by Attila Soos on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:23 pm 
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:29 pm 

I think "elite" is the wrong word to describe the top artists in bonsai.
Elite (also spelled ?lite) is taken from the Latin, eligere, "to elect". In sociology as in general usage, the ?lite (the "elect," from French) is a relatively small dominant group within a larger society, which enjoys a privileged status which is upheld by individuals of lower social status within the structure of a group. - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The top artists may hold a privileged status in the bonsai community, but they are not "upheld" by the lower status, instead they are upheld by the quality of their work, an artist is only as good as their creations. In fact, it is common that their privileged status is often attacked by those of lower status.
The term elite is often used in regards to education, financial institutions, and the military, but seldom with the artistic crowd. Avant-grade comes closer, but still misses the mark.
I could be wrong, but maybe a better term to describe the world-class bonsai creating artists is needed.
This does sway from the subject and I apologize. On the subject, Walter made it clear that being blind in one eye is not a fault inclusive to beginners, it is a flaw shared by many of all levels of skills.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:33 pm 
Editor

I always liked the mindset that you have truly reached a high level when you don't have to be introduced.
The same could apply to bonsai. Goshin doesn't have to be named. It just is. The viewer will know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:47 pm 
Editor

I believe that becoming successful in any field, including bonsai is a matter of decision, more than anything else. If your decision is "Yes", then all you have to do is to make the sacrifice that comes with it. And here is the problem: 99% of us do not want to make the sacrifice. There is no free ride here.
There is a paradox in the title of this article: "Blind in one eye". The paradox is that in order to make it big and become successful in this field, you actually have to be blind at the beginning. What I mean is that you need to use your imagination and visualize in your trees the future. You can't just look at the present. When you look at your trees, you must be able to see what other people don't see in them.
Walter mentioned this himself.
So, this blindness is a double-edged sword: it helps you see the future, but it also prevents you from realistically see the present. It's like the tale of the magic key in the buddhist mythology: If you manage to get hold of the key to heaven, the same key will also be the one for hell. You must know how to use it to your favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:30 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next