[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
artofbonsai.org • View topic - Technology Killed the Bonsai Show Star
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:11 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:09 am 
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:12 pm 

"The harm I see is in beginners being made to believe that this is what they should be able to achieve, a few years though it may take. When I know that even with minutely detailed instructions they would not be very likely to achieve it. They will end up being frustrated."

Perhaps so. But at least this relative beginner recognizes that virtuals reflect (hopefully, especially when the virtual is offered by someone whom I respect) what someone who knows what they are doing may be able to achieve. ;-) Rather than frustration, inspiration often results. In the long run, inspiration of this kind may first manifest itself in the styling of other materials down the line...not even the tree in consideration.
"Virtual styling, in most cases, is putting the styling wagon before the horticultural horse. "
Good analogy! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:46 am 

Carl:
As I pointed out in my first reply to this thread, I think virtuals _can_ be helpful in making up one's mind about which line of styling to follow. No doubt. Photoshop being used instead of a paper towel. Works like a charm.

But when a tree growing horizontally is virtually pressed into an upright position without so much of a mention as to what effect that procedure has on the root system, we have bonsai flim-flammery.

John:
I totally agree that many of the virtuals are inspirational. They are that because they are 'good' bonsai. My difficulty is not with the end product, but with the _lack of instruction_ of how to arrive at Z from A.

There is nothing better to hone one's eye than to study (images of) successfully styled trees. For years, I have used the pictures published in the Kokufu-ten albums for that purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:20 pm 
Editor

Honestly, I have not read end to end every post in this subject but I have read enough to understand the direction it is going. Some of you know me and some also know I am a musician of sorts that plays the Lute.

There have been times where I have played my instrument at art exhibits to furnish atmosphere and back ground. There have been times I have played the Lute as a featured performer. There have been times I have played the Lute at events where the parameters were difficult explain.

The point as this relates to bonsai is one of importance within a display. Is the bonsai just there to add some atmosphere as it might be used in the back ground of some B movie, or is it the focus of a display set up to show off bonsai as an art? Then of course the old American or Western display arouses discussions where the parameters are not clearly established.

Getting into this territory one must bring mine detectors, watch out for quick sand and be mindful of the occasional ambush. So many things that are passed off as American this and American that have one thing in common: Tacky. Mind you I said many not all. Personally I am not a big advocate of bonsai displays with miniature cars crashed into the trunks of bonsai trees, or tiny rope swings hanging from the branches.

In my opinion bonsai is the epitomy of subtle messages that stimulate the mind and imagination, to fathom a tree's history. One should not need props to relay a message. The traditional display evolved over several generations of bonsai lovers has given us the concept of understatement where less is more. In Western culture and our often shout it from the roof tops mentality, we tend to attempt to re-invent the wheel when we don't really understand why the thing is round.

In hopes of establishing a real "American" style in display as well as bonsai itself, I think it is important to understand why the traditional methods work and work so well. It is not enough to do something the way the Japanes would never do it, but to do something new that has the same feel to it that the Japanese efforts bring forth. This is not re-inventing the wheel it is putting a new tire on it.

Vance Wood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:41 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:49 am 

Post subject: Bonsai photographs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:42 am 

I agree that bonsais shown in photographs have to show the real thing. No artistic corrections should be done to the tree by the use of Photoshop or other programs, which with the speed of a mouse click can enhance the tree to a higher level than it really is.

In the circles of press photographers in Denmark, there has been a discussion the last years, about rights and wrongs, when pictures are being cleaned and manipulated. Is it ok to remove disturbing objects in the picture after it has been taken, or not? The first and foremost answer is a clear no. But if you look at the case from another point, the disturbing object might have been cleaned away from the picture anyway, if the photographer had just chosen another point and angle from which to take the picture. Which method is different from the other? What is more right or more wrong if to choose between methods? The result is the same. The object that disturbs is removed from the framing.

My point is to tell, that I don?t at all find it alright to manipulate with the tree. That would be a lie. But I do find it totally all right to set up proper flash lights, and a good background i.e., in order to make the best possible result of a photograph taken. In this case a photograph of a bonsai.

In the case of virtuals, it has to be clearly underlined, that the picture is a virtual. No lies. But as we want to present our bonsais at their best at an exhibition, we also want to present our bonsais at their best on photos. And this can be done by proper light, the right exposure, a good background i.e. By enhancing background, dark areas, and so on by post adjustments, it is possible to make a good quality picture, that gives a good impression.

As long as we show the bonsais as they really are, this is absolutely no problem for me.

A final point is, that a photograph newer will be the same as to watch a bonsai on the spot. It is two different ways of observing the same thing. Observing a bonsai close up in ?the real world? will always give the biggest impression and best experience. A photograph will stay two-dimensional, and without the possibility of viewing the tree from different angles to see the details.

Photographs of bonsais are very inspiring though, and I believe our common interest develops, and is spreading widely, exactly because it is possible to share photographs of beautiful bonsais at the Internet for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:06 pm 

Post subject: Sketch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:26 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:55 pm 
Editor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:20 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next