It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Entry Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:53 am 

Hi Marco

I'm a litle confused with what you have said about the Pot size. What most of us have learnt is that the size of the pot is governed byt the size of the tree. this is the first time that i heard a "90 cm or so" size limit. do you wish to explain please?

also i would apprciate if you can explain your thoughts my trees that i have asked earlier on

Thank you very much

Devinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:40 am 

Devinda Peries wrote:
Hi Marco

I'm a litle confused with what you have said about the Pot size.

Devinda,
I think, he was talking about the tree size, not the pot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 pm 

[Mike page said

I find your display very pleasing, but the image was so dark, it was hard for me to judge it. (not that I'm a judge)"
I downloaded the image, took it to Photoshop, brightened it up a bit, and now I can see a display I appreciate very much.
Photography plays a big part in these contests. ]

Mike thank you for your efforts. Photoshop is shrouded in mystery to me! Thats probably due to my age! I take your point as it was shot in natural light in my lounge with an on camera flash...... I shall have to invest in some lighting systems.

With regards to Wills comment that AoB was responsible for some poor quality photographs, I hope he doesn't beat himself up too much. Surely, these should have been judged accordingly?
It has been an enjoyable experience, one I hope to take part in again.

Best wishes
Dave.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:13 pm 

David Martin wrote:
[Mike page said

I find your display very pleasing, but the image was so dark, it was hard for me to judge it. (not that I'm a judge)"
I downloaded the image, took it to Photoshop, brightened it up a bit, and now I can see a display I appreciate very much.
Photography plays a big part in these contests. ]

Mike thank you for your efforts. Photoshop is shrouded in mystery to me! Thats probably due to my age! I take your point as it was shot in natural light in my lounge with an on camera flash...... I shall have to invest in some lighting systems.

With regards to Wills comment that AoB was responsible for some poor quality photographs, I hope he doesn't beat himself up too much. Surely, these should have been judged accordingly?
It has been an enjoyable experience, one I hope to take part in again.

Best wishes
Dave.

Dave
You don't need to know everthing that Photoshop can do. The main things are brightness and contrast, cropping, DPI count, size of image, etc. You learn a piece at a time. I don't know your age, but if you can do bonsai, and use a camera, you can do Photoshop. I'm 75, and I started using it 8-9 years ago. Learned it a bit at a time.
I'll bet you can do it!!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:42 pm 

A simple free and easy to use program like Picasa will be sufficient for many.
Google it and download it for free.
I use Photoshop, but for most people it is not nescessary.

Regards
Morten Albek

Post subject: understanding a result
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 am 
Editor

Richard Patefield ask in a bold way, about entry AoB_086 Mike Page - USA
Japanese Black Pine (Pinus thunbergiana)
Height: 26 in, 66.04 cm
Pot: Japanese
Categories: Conifer
Selected by Bill Valavanis. I know Bill, has done bonsai longer than I, and has travel the world and see great bonsai etc. Thats why I would like to understand his reasons to choose this tree? also he him self gave a better score to another american tree.
AoB_132
Japanese Black Pine (Pinus thunbergii)
Height: 20 in, 50.80 cm
Pot: Yamaaki kiln, Tokonoma, Japan
But knowing that he is a regular judge on many international events. I would like to read a detail description as to what makes 086 a good bonsai.
Best regards
Enrique

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 pm 

AMERICAN AWARD SELECTION

Sorry for the delay in answering "The" question, but I've been busy with the International Stone Appreciation Symposium which concluded yesterday and now I'm quite busy with the final details for the First National Bonsai Exhibition which will begin in a few short days.

I had a difficult time selecting a bonsai for the First National Bonsai Exhibition from this contest.

There were so many fine bonsai I wanted to choose from, but they were already submitted and selected for the First National Bonsai Exhibition. Then some of the other bonsai belonged to artists who already had several trees in the exhibition and I want a wide selection of bonsai according to beauty, size, species, styles and owners from different sections of the United States. Bonsai from across the country have been selected and all areas will be well represented.

I am the only one who knows the 325 plus bonsai which have been submitted and the 160 plus bonsai which were accepted for the First National Bonsai Exhibition.

I really think, according to my 45 year study of classical bonsai, that the Japanese black pine in the literati style displayed by Mike Page has great elegance and shows sensitive taste. There are no scars on the long trunk with slight curves and it shows a maturing bark pattern. Many, many bonsai in the United States are massive and include a tremendous amount of dead wood to make an immediate impact to impress the public.

The Japanese black pine appears to me to have been created by an artist who simply loves bonsai and wanted to share his artistry through this public contest.

There are a great deal of massive bonsai with dead wood already in the First National Bonsai Exhibition and the literati Japanese black entered will present a breath of fresh air. Even though the branches need some more refinement and the surface roots still need development, the overall aesthetic impact was great, to me at least, and I am the person responsible for the award's selection.

I hope this helps to explain why the Japanese black pine was selected for displaying in the First National Bonsai Exhibition. Everyone is welcome to visit this historic event to see some of the finest bonsai in the United States.

Bill

Post subject: Re: understanding a result
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 am 
Editor

Richard Patefield wrote:
What qualities do the judges see in Mike Page's pinus that make it prizeworthy?

It is completely out of place with the other specimens imo.

Enrique Castano wrote:
Selected by Bill Valavanis. I know Bill, has done bonsai longer than I, and has travel the world and see great bonsai etc. Thats why I would like to understand his reasons to choose this tree? also he him self gave a better score to another american tree.
AoB_132

But knowing that he is a regular judge on many international events. I would like to read a detail description as to what makes 086 a good bonsai.
Best regards

Today, the tree in question here won the best classical bonsai award at the National Exhibit in New York.

Congrads Mike!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 am 

Editorial Staff wrote:

Today, the tree in question here won the American Bonsai Exhibit Award and the National Exhibit in New York.

Congrads Mike!

Without more refinement, this is local comp material for UK, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:57 pm 
Editor

See the other winners and more here -->
viewforum.php?f=65

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:26 pm 

Editorial Staff wrote:
Richard Patefield wrote:

Enrique Castano wrote:
AoB_132

Best regards

Today, the tree in question here won the American Bonsai Exhibit Award and the National Exhibit in New York.

Congrads Mike!

After I saw this anouncment from the EDITORIAL STAFF: quote="Editorial Staff"]
Richard Patefield wrote:

Enrique Castano wrote:
AoB_132

Best regards

Congrads Mike![/
quote]

After reading the above post from the "editorial staff", I worked on a lengthily reply to this matter all day long, trying very hard not to hurt any body's feelings, while still questioning the huge gap between the scores of the different judges. But after carefully reconsidering it all, I decided to not post it after all, I don't think it would matter much anyway, and it might turn against me in the end.
And I guess that by winning" the finest bonsai of classical design of the National Exhibit" award, it shows, that Mister Valavanis was right after all, when he gave this tree 9 points, and Marco Invernizzi and Lindsay Bebb, that gave it only 2 points, were completely wrong!
Or it shows something else completely!

Hans van Meer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:51 am 

What principles of 'Classical' bonsai design does the tree in question excel in?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:52 am 
Editor

Hans, Richard,

Please see this article viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2641

Will

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 am 

wow!!

Absolutely beautifully written. I have never beofer thought of bonsai this way!!!!!

breathtaking!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:53 am 

Cliff Notes:
Only those of rarefied taste, education and judgement will see its beauty.

Those of you familiar with European folk tales will know this as 'The Emperor's New Clothes' argument.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next