It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Entry Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 pm 

This thread is for the discussion of entries, questions for the judges, and their responses.

Post subject: Re: Entry Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 am 

Mauro Stemberger's entry in the conifer category amazed me, I find it to be a great example of the species, it is not often we see a Yew of this quality. Well deserving of the Best Conifer award!

Good work Mauro!

Attachments:
aob_002_taxsua_cuspidata_370.jpg
aob_002_taxsua_cuspidata_370.jpg [ 105.99 KiB | Viewed 7276 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:21 am 

What qualities do the judges see in Mike Page's pinus that make it prizeworthy?

It is completely out of place with the other specimens imo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:48 am 

Mike Page's tree was selected by one of our sponsors for their award. Perhaps they will see your question.

These sponsor awards were explained in the rules, which a section pertaining to them is quoted below:

SPONSOR AWARDS

American National Bonsai Exhibition Award: Chosen by the management of the National Bonsai Exhibition. The winner will automatically qualify for entry into the America's first National Bonsai Exhibition and receive some financial assistance.

ABFF (Asia-Pacific Bonsai Friendship Federation) Award: Chosen by the management of the ABFF. The winner will win a free return air-ticket to Bangkok Thailand for the 2008 ABFF Convention in December 2008. The ticket will be from the country's main airport and not include the domestic flight. This prize can not be transfered to other people or refunded in cash if not used.

I congratulate Mike Page for his win of the American National Bonsai Exhibition Award, good work Mike!

Will

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:51 pm 

Will Heath wrote:
Mauro Stemberger's entry in the conifer category amazed me, I find it to be a great example of the species, it is not often we see a Yew of this quality. Well deserving of the Best Conifer award!

Good work Mauro!

Mauro's Yew is the best I've ever seen.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:33 pm 

Will Heath wrote:
Mike Page's tree was selected by one of our sponsors for their award. Perhaps they will see your question.

These sponsor awards were explained in the rules, which a section pertaining to them is quoted below:

SPONSOR AWARDS

American National Bonsai Exhibition Award: Chosen by the management of the National Bonsai Exhibition. The winner will automatically qualify for entry into the America's first National Bonsai Exhibition and receive some financial assistance.

ABFF (Asia-Pacific Bonsai Friendship Federation) Award: Chosen by the management of the ABFF. The winner will win a free return air-ticket to Bangkok Thailand for the 2008 ABFF Convention in December 2008. The ticket will be from the country's main airport and not include the domestic flight. This prize can not be transfered to other people or refunded in cash if not used.

I congratulate Mike Page for his win of the American National Bonsai Exhibition Award, good work Mike!

Will

Thanks, Will

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:57 am 

Great contest and great winners!!!

I have a question to the judges though about my two entries

Entry AOB 207 - I would like to hear comments on this and also like to know why this tree was clasified as "not a bonsai" by Marco Invernizzi

Entry AOB 208 - I would like to hear comments on this tree and also like to know why this tree was clasified as "not a bonsai" by Marco Invernizzi

Thanks

Devinda

AoB_207
Ficus (Ficus parasitica)
Height: 19.68 in, 50 cm
Pot: Chinese
Categories: Broadleaf

AoB_208
Madras Thorn (Pithecelobium Dulce)
Height: 25.98 in, 66 cm
Pot: Chinese
Categories: Broadleaf

Post subject: my first time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 am 

Ciao Everybody,
here is Marco Invernizzi from Milan in his first ever attempt to join a bonsaiforum online......damn it took me an hour to get here....probably I spent too much time with the real bonsai instead of learning about the new computer tricks.

First of all, thank you very much to all to having me here and to allow me to contribute to your contest as a judge.

I heard that not everyone agrees with my votes......not problem, I already got the all the names, soon their address and my italian mafia and Yakuza connection will soon make them change their mind!

Seriously, I vote all your tree at John Pitt's place in his presence...actually he was typing all the numbers first to allow me to focus on your tree, second to allow me to put the blame on him in case of a mistake!!

I'll be very happy to answer to all your questions about why I vote what I voted. Please send me the pic of the tree with my vote to [email removed to prevent spam] I'll reply as soon as possible!

Before I go, let me remind you all that a bonsai should be an old-ancient-natural looking tree in a pot that looks also very very big while instead is small, or at least not bigger than 90cm or so.
OK talk you soon

please don't forget my birthday on the 7th november!
ciao
marco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 am 

Ciao Marco,

Thanks for the judging of this contest and thanks to John Pitt for his help as well.

If possible, could you discuss your judging on the entries here, so that all of our readers may learn and be inspired by your comments?

To make this easy, I will personally attach all the pictures for the entries that the entrants have questions on. In this way, all you need to do is to hit the quote button on any post that you wish to respond to.

I have attached pictures to all question posts so far. All pictures are "clickable" to full sized images.

Thanks Marco, and welcome to AoB.

Will

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm 

Congratulations to all the winners.

I think that by entering the competion, it has meant that I have learnt to take better photographs of my subjects.
I would be grateful if judges comments could be made regarding the following of my entries these were, AOB entries
156, ( I suspect the background may have detracted from the subject)

Best wishes
Dave Martin

AoB_052
Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum)
Height: 12 in, 30.5 cm
Pot: MoPot (UK)
Categories: Display

AoB_092
Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon Japonicus), Hosta (Hosta Venusta), White Toadflax (Cymbalaria muralis alba)
Height: 3.5 in, 8.89 cm
Pot: MoPot
Categories: Companion

AoB_156
Unknown (Sisyrinchium graminoides)
Height: 7 in, 17.5 cm
Pot: Japanese

AoB_125
Liverwort, Hairmoss and unknown mosses (Unknown)
Height: 2 in, 5 cm
Pot: John Pitt

AoB_202
Hosta (Unknown)
Height: 7 in, 17.5 cm
Pot: Pot Walsall Studio Ceramics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:29 pm 

David
I find your display very pleasing, but the image was so dark, it was hard for me to judge it. (not that I'm a judge)"
I downloaded the image, took it to Photoshop, brightened it up a bit, and now I can see a display I appreciate very much.
Photography plays a big part in these contests.

Mike

Attachments:
aob_052_acer_palmatum_370-rs.jpg
aob_052_acer_palmatum_370-rs.jpg [ 76.22 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:01 pm 

Mike Page wrote:
Photography plays a big part in these contests.

This is very true. All that the judges have to judge an entry with is the photograph. Knowing this, we were sure to write the rules to reflect this. Below is a direct quote from the rules:

"PHOTOGRAPHS

Digital photographs of 3 megapixels or greater will be accepted providing the original image from the camera is available in case of quality concerns. We will also accept scans in the highest resolution and finest quality, with original prints or negatives available if requested. Optimally, submitted images should be 300 dpi and 20.3 cm (8 inches, or 2400 pixels) in width.

Photographs must not be up-sized, must not be over-sharpened or over-filtered. Entries not meeting these standards, put in place for professional print publishing reasons, will be rejected. Photographs must be clear, in focus, and without a distracting background."

We are partially to blame for some of the poor photographs in the contest because, according to the rules, we should have disqualified some of the pictures based on the photography guidelines. However, we posted the guidelines and decided to let the entrants decide what is acceptable or not, knowing that the judges would filter out (with scores) those that could not be accurately viewed.

Will

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:33 am 

Hi everybody: I posted this before in (maybe) the wrong section, so I post it here again, because I really hope to get this question answered.
Thank you!

Congratulations to all the winners and participants. The overall winning Bonsai by: Min Hsuan Lo, is simply amazing and deserved to win in this competition as like it deservedly won the CERTRE AWARD as well! Beautiful Bonsai Art, BRAVO!
Now I do now, that you cant debate about taste, but there is one thing that immediately caught my eye looking over the jury score sheets. I would love to hear the explanation for the big differences between the scores. I think that this would also be helpful to the novice bonsai enthusiast, who now is faced with some substantial mixed messages about what is considered no bonsai and good bonsai.
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

Entry Category Score
left: W. Valavanis
Middle: M. Invernizzi
Right: L. Bebb

aob_054 Conifer___ 6 0 1
aob_086 Conifer___ 9 2 2 winner of price.
aob_087 Conifer___ 7 not bonsai 4
aob_098 Shohin____ 8 2 4
aob_107 Display____ 7 0 1
aob_124 Landscape_ 8 3 3
aob_142 Display____ 7 0 1
aob_143 Display____ 6 0 2
aob_146 Landscape_ 6 1 1
aob_154 Display____ 8 2 3
aob_178 Broadleaf__ 6 2 1
aob_204 Shohin____ 8 2 4
aob_230 Shohin____ 7 1 2
aob_231 Broadleaf__ 7 2 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 am 

hans van meer wrote:
I would love to hear the explanation for the big differences between the scores. I think that this would also be helpful to the novice bonsai enthusiast, who now is faced with some substantial mixed messages about what is considered no bonsai and good bonsai.

aob_107 Display____ 7 0 1

That's the good question Hans.
I mean, just look at the single entry I'm quoting...this isn't normal.

Last edited by Marinko Beg on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: my first time
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:50 am 

Marco Invernizzi wrote:

Before I go, let me remind you all that a bonsai should be an old-ancient-natural looking tree in a pot that looks also very very big while instead is small, or at least not bigger than 90cm or so.

please don't forget my birthday on the 7th november!

Ha,ha,ha,ha...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next