It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wisteria floribunda in flower
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 pm 

Hi everyone
I am new to this forum so i'll provide a little background. I live in the South of England and have been interested in bonsai for most of my life. I only have a few, most of which I started traing in 1990. I would like to show you a picture of my wisteria (before training in 1990 and the present day) that I bought as a garden nursery plant in the mid 80's. I planted it in the ground next to the house but it never flowered so after about 5 years I dug it up with a view to moving it to a sunnier spot. It was then that I decided to try to train it as my first ever bonsai.
It died back virtually to the roots and four sprouts appeared, three of which I let grow to form the trunks/branches you see now.
I plan for the tree to grow at least half as high again over the next five years or so to create another flower 'cloud' at the top center right.
I potted it into this dish in October and I appreciate it is sitting high and that many would feel the dish is to large. I plan to lower the tree into the pot in stages (it came from a deep garden pot) and grow and fatten surface roots to the right then start lifting the tree back out of the dish.
The new branches will have formed by then and hopefully the dish will be in balance.
Sorry to be wordy, what do you think? I would very much appreciate in put especially from other wisteria owners out there.

Thanks Dave

Attachments:
wisteria 12-04-08 001 (43) (Medium).jpg [102.36 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times
wisteria1990.JPG
wisteria1990.JPG [ 172.49 KiB | Viewed 2265 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:54 pm 
Editor

Hi Dave,

Beautiful tree. Wisteria are so lovely in flower.

Just a thought about wisteria in general. I wouldn't worry about lowering to the surface of a shallow pot. These guys love water so much that I think you might do better with a bit more soil mass, and with the vine-style plantings (especially in flower) I don't feel that the shallow pot is necessary for the overall image that you are trying to create. Look at the wisterias you see from Japan; often in deeper pots as you might use for a semi-cascade.

Best regards,
Carl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]