It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bougainvillea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:17 pm 

Species: Bougainvillea Glabra
In training since: March 2004
Collected: May 2003
Pot: Handbuilt by Matsushita Reiji
Dimensions: 31" tall by 30" wide
This one has developed quickly, but it still has a long way to go before I will be satisfied with it. Any comments or critiques will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
bougainvillea.jpg
bougainvillea.jpg [ 76.91 KiB | Viewed 2600 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:49 am 
Editor

Hi Charles,
This bougainvillea has a real potential to become a classic specimen with time (world class, that is).
Tropicals have an innate exuberance that's hard to be tamed, they look better when radiating an air of naturalness. Your tree has that look, with the rounded canopy and informal branching. I also like the natural colour of the deadwood (not overly white).
With so many interesting features, it almost looks like a landscape in itself.
There is nothing essential that I would change, it looks great the way it is.
And the photography is great as well. The shadow on the pot doesn't bother me at all, in fact it makes the tree look more real and three-dimensional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:50 pm 

Thanks for the comments Attila. The deadwood has not been treated, aside from Minwax Wood Hardener to prevent rot. This tree looks rather contrived without flowers, but the flowers really gave it a natural feeling.
For the photography, I followed Carl Bergstrom's guide to photographing bonsai and kusamono. It was a sunny day out, so I used a shorter shutter time. The only editing I had to do was cropping the photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:44 am 
Editor

Charles,
From your pictures and posts, I've followed the development of this tree from rough stock for what - a couple of years now? I'm just amazed at the pace that you've achieved here.
This tree is actually show-ready in this picture. Sure, there are things I know you'll want to improve over time, but it looks fantastic, right now. Great work with this one.
Your photograph is very nice as well, and I like the way that you've prepared the soil surface for show.
Thanks for posting this lovely picture.
Best wishes,
Carl

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:30 pm 

Carl Bergstrom wrote:
From your pictures and posts, I've followed the development of this tree from rough stock for what - a couple of years now? I'm just amazed at the pace that you've achieved here.

Thanks for your comments Carl. Believe it or not, you have been following for a little over one year. I have never had this pace of development on any of my trees in the past. For this reason, I have decided to buy the sister tree to this one. It was once connected to this tree by one root, but Jim Smith decided to cut the root and make two trees. The other tree will make a fine sumo slant style specimen.
Best wishes,
Charles Bevan

Post subject: Re: Bougainvillea
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:16 pm 
What's the latest with this very nice bonsai? We're in a tropical country and this material are being used as a flowering type bonsai. I have several but all are still in their developing stages. Again, I will appreciate its latest photo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:38 pm 

lito,

Please take a moment to read our guidelines, especially the section on user names http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59

You can make changes in the user control panel link on the top right of this page.

Will

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:14 am 

Like Attila comments I find your bonsai naturall and very pleasing to view. I would focus on developing the lover branches, so they with time will thicken and make a even older looking tree than now. Beutifull trunk/deadwood. Congratulations.

Regards
Morten Albek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:07 pm 
Truly beautiful Bougainvillea, "one of a kind" flowering bonsai.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]