It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gallery: Candy Shirey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:48 am 
Editor

The thread is for the discussion of Candy Shirey's gallery.
http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/shirey.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:53 pm 
Very impressive gallery Candy. I really like the Celtis sinensis, it is quite inspiring, thanks for allowing these wonderful bonsai to be posted.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:01 pm 

I would never take anything away from Mr. Nick Lenz or Mr. Kenji Miyata as I greatly admire both, but in the context of your gallery I felt that the two trees that were yours, the Celtis sinensis and the Quercus suber stood out from the rest as my favorite out of all pictured.
Thank you for showing your trees. I have neither the experience nor jargon to try and explain why those two trees stood out more, but they spoke something to me. So I will just leave it at that.
After those two, my 3rd favorite would have to be the maple forest styled by Sensei Miyata. All in all, a very wonderful gallery.
michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:09 pm 

So that' s where those ended up. . . thanks for showing them Candy.
what doesn't show here is the scale - that Celtis is quite a large tree, the nebari is near 12" if I recall. What are your thoughts for the future of this one Candy?
(in person the hollow still reminded me of those Muppet aliens though! )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/ ... yipyip.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:48 am 
Editor

My top three favorites are the Celtis, the Quercus and the Maple forest.
The hackberry evokes a sense of mystery, it reminds me of a powerful old tree from the enchanted forest of the fairytales. It is full of surprises, there is nothing predictable about it. I've found that the trees that impress me the most are those the least predictable. Those that gives you something new with every little detail. Not unlike the stories or movies I enjoy the most. Predictable stories are boring.
The cork oak has a lot of charm and elegance. Somehow that charm contrasts very well with the rugged skin.
The maple forest is attractive in its simplicity and modesty. It invites me to contemplate in its shade.
Most exquisite gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:52 pm 
Editor

Thank-you for your kind words. It is gratifying to know that my trees can touch so many while in their secluded spot in the world.
Thank-you, Carl Bergstrom for taking the time to assemble my gallery.
Will wrote:
I really like the Celtis sinensis, it is quite inspiring, thanks for allowing these wonderful bonsai to be posted.

The hackberry is starting to grow on me. When I first saw it, it was the original pot that I loved and the hackberry was a bonus. I'm glad that you find it inspiring. Just knowing that it touches you gives me reason to study it see it anew again.
Michael Thomas wrote:
I would never take anything away from Mr. Nick Lenz or Mr. Kenji Miyata as I greatly admire both, but in the context of your gallery I felt that the two trees that were yours, the Celtis sinensis and the Quercus suber stood out from the rest as my favorite out of all pictured.

Michael, I am just the next generation caretaker for these trees. These trees passed through many hands before mine. Though, these two are probably more "mine" than the others. I thank-you for your kind words and admire your good taste in trees.
mike mccallion wrote:
what doesn't show here is the scale - that Celtis is quite a large tree, the nebari is near 12" if I recall. What are your thoughts for the future of this one Candy?
(in person the hollow still reminded me of those Muppet aliens though! )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/ ... yipyip.jpg

Mike, the Celtis is a big one - 40 inches tall with a trunk diameter of 12 inches. Many an artiist has questioned the validity of the large center branch and many have pondered the possibility of cutting it off. I have done a few virtuals and it would look even sillier without that branch. I think the current styling is a good direction. The future that I see for this tree simply involves ramification and refinement.
Attila Soos wrote:
The hackberry evokes a sense of mystery, it reminds me of a powerful old tree from the enchanted forest of the fairytales. It is full of surprises, there is nothing predictable about it. I've found that the trees that impress me the most are those the least predictable. Those that gives you something new with every little detail. Not unlike the stories or movies I enjoy the most. Predictable stories are boring.

The image that I see is silliness. It certainly is a character tree. I was hoping to impart a bit of nobility and reverence to this tree but it continues to echo silliness. I will try to see the mystery.
Attila Soos wrote:
The cork oak has a lot of charm and elegance. Somehow that charm contrasts very well with the rugged skin.

I think that this is my favorite composition - especially since it has recently found a new home in a wondewrful Sara Raynor pot. It has presented many surprises as it develops. It is good for me to know that this tree has touched you because sometimes I think that sentiment can sometimes blur artistic value. As an artist, I would like to know that the feelings that a composition evokes has been communicated and is not only my internal sentiment that I value. This gives me confidence in my art.
Attila Soos wrote:
The maple forest is attractive in its simplicity and modesty. It invites me to contemplate in its shade.

Wow, you can see that in the photo! It took me awhile to appreciate the beauty of this piece. Luckily, Carl Bergstrom was on hand when it became available and he vocalized its' merits. Until then, it did not shine for me. I agree, it is the simplicity (wabi sabi) that makes this composition.
-Candy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:34 pm 

Candy, your gallery is beautiful, and reflects your artisty. I'm especially partial to the quercus suber. Although it's not bunjin, it reflects the restrained elegance of a fine bunjin bonsai.
Best regards
Mike

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:20 pm 
Michael Thomas wrote:
<snip>in the context of your gallery I felt that the two trees that were yours, the Celtis sinensis and the Quercus suber stood out from the rest as my favorite out of all pictured.
<snip>
michael

The oak is the best in the gallery, hands down, IMHO. Marvelous tree and an excellent choice of pots.
Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]