It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:35 pm 
Editor

You mean there is only 31 days 12 hours and 20 minutes left to enter?;)
-dorothy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:48 pm 

Dorothy Schmitz wrote:
You mean there is only 31 days 12 hours and 20 minutes left to enter?;)

Somehow I just knew you'd have it down to the second. ;)

Will

Post subject: missing submission
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 pm 

Quote:
Submissions must be made by email to will@artofbonsai.org no later than midnight (EST) June 1st 2007. Entries that are late will be disqualified. We will acknowledge each entry by email within 24 hours to assure that all submissions have been received. If you do not get a confirmation of your email within 24 hours of the time you sent it, contact Will immediately at the email address above.

I wonder if someone can help? I sent a submission which I believe met all the criteria to the email address above back on May 8. Since I never got any response I did as requested above and sent (a couple) emails inquiring about it also with no response.
Does anyone have any suggestions? With our Memorial Day holiday coming up I don't have much time left to get in an entry!
-Janet Roth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:41 am 

Janet,
First, allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing and also to thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I just searched all my emails over the last months, sorted by name of sender and even by attachments and I could not find your submission. Searching further, I found this email from you in my deleted files asking about your submission, it seems for some reason my email client thought it was junk mail and automatically deleted it. Your entry was not found.
I have corrected the problem; please resend your submission to both of the addresses below to assure no further delay.
Again, please accept my apologies for this error and thanks so much for bringing it up here.

Will Heath
will@artofbonsai.org
paul@artofbonsai.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:33 am 

We have less than two weeks left for submissions and we just hit 127 entries total! I am expecting quite a few last hour submissions and to be honest, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of bonsai entered from both sides, some remarkable bonsai are being entered.
We have had over 15,000 views of the North American and European entries to date, that is a lot of interest and I can only imagine this number will grow dramatically once the judging begins.

Will

Post subject: submission resent
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:26 am 

Thanks very much Will for doing that search. Who knew that pictures of naked bonsai would trip up a spam filter! I have resubmitted to both the addresses as you suggested.
I know it's a lot of work managing this contest.
All my best (and may the best trees win!), Janet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:29 am 

Janet, I recieved your entry and will post it later, thanks.

Will

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:07 am 
Editor

Walter Pall wrote:
Here is a 'problem' that I am thinking about these days:
How often does one show the same tree in a contest? What do the rules say? And what does common sense tell you?
The rules don't say mucb - yet. I think if a tree has made it among the first 30 this year it should not be shown next year. I think it should not be shown for the next four years. Most will understand this rule if it is ever decided. Now how about if the tree has been changed pretty much? Would that rule still apply? How about if the tree has changed hands? Could the new owner not show the tree?
Common sense would tell me to show new trees at every contest. Fine, but how many new trees does one have? How about the wish to make the best possible figure? You will try to present your best trees, of course, to accomplish that. So, if the trees were shown already, would you still do it. And how about different contests?
A real case: My big Japaense maple is well known. It won lots of awards. It has won last year's AoB contest. It was on the cover of BT consequently and inside again. It was in my gallery in BT a few months bedfore that. It was on the Gingko Award and is in the Gingko book as a consequence. It is on the cover of some calenders and it is my best selling photograph on the internet photo agencies. It is doing well in the running Certre Award. It was on covers of several bonsai magazines. So far so good. This is quite a carreer for a tree.
But here comes the problem: do I enter it for this contest again or is this overkill? Since this is the first of hopefully a long series of North Amerca vs. Europe contests I can enter anything. I would not enter it within the next years again. But at the first one I can well do so. Or can I? Is it not too much to show this one again. Well, how about personal pride? Is it OK to try to get as far as possible in ths contest again? Would it be considered unfair?
BTW, I have changed the tree slightly. To my eyes it looks even more dramatic now. How about entering this one? Good or bad idea?
Walter

Walter,
This is not difficult to answer at all. You enter it. This is a different contest, and it is about the BEST bonsai in a contest between N. America and Europe. If you feel it represents Europe well, you enter it. Other contests don't matter. It's about the best Europe (in your case) has to offer.
John

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 am 
Editor

Vance Wood wrote:
Will Heath wrote:
Almost immediately after I posted these European entries, I received a couple emails that both mentioned that this contest doesn't count because not all North American artists would be represented, that there are many great trees in North America that would not be entered, and so on...
Will

This is almost beyond my ability to comprehend! How can anyone be so dense as to believe this statement, and narrow in focus to think they can blow off this contest on the basis that "They Think" there are better trees lurking out there that will not be entered. All I have to say about that is if there are better trees out there enter them-----What's the problem?
I keep hearing rumors that there is a large hairy primate roaming the Pacific North West forrests, and that there is a survivor from the Cretaceous period living in Loch Ness. This may be true---lets see some credible pictures.
In the immortal words of my older brother: "Put up or shut up".

I look at this like drag racing. It doesn't matter what monster hot rod you have in your garage, you have to "run what you brung".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:37 pm 
Editor

I find this notion most amusing. Fact is that In Europe we have more than 500 people who could possibly show several thousand trees of similar quality as already posted on the European side. Of these 500 about 15 have entered so far. I would be very happy it in the end around 25 Europeans have entered around 100 trees. This would be less than 5 percent of the total eligible trees. No complaints from my side. This is as much as can be expected at this point in time.
Why would people think that Europeans are so madly entering because they desperately want to compete? The overwhelming majority do not care about this. YET! I think this will be the first contest of many to come and folks will take this for much more serious in the future.
Walter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:25 am 

The contest deadline is quickly approaching. With less than five days left to enter, we have seen some remarkable submissions from both North America and Europe. We have received almost 12 full pages of submissions from many countries, 157 entries to date that have been viewed over 16,000 times. The contest, so far, has been a success by any standards!
Soon our judges, Budi Sulistyo, Robert Steven, and Min Hsuan Lo, will be given scoring sheets to start the task of scoring each entry. These score sheets will be made public once the scoring is done and at that time the entrants names will be added to the actual entries.
If you plan on entering, now is the time to do so, don't let the deadline slip past!
Good luck to all who have entered and our appreciation goes out to those that have entered, those who have supported and helped with this contest, and to the sponsors who have generously donated prizes to this first of many to come contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:25 pm 

We have 177 total entries as of this post, over 17,000 views of the entries, and we still have just over a day left before the deadline.

Once the deadline has past, we will email the judging sheets to our judges and the judging will start.
Thanks to everyone who has helped, to all the sponsors, and to all those who has entered the contest, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:47 pm 

And as the countdown continues...

With less than 8 hours left before the deadline for submissions is upon us, we are still recieving some excellent entries from both regions.
The judges certainly have a difficult task in front of them with so many quality world class entries!

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:42 pm 
Editor

Yes, it looks like a great battle, once the books are closed.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:22 pm 

Attila Soos wrote:
Yes, it looks like a great battle, once the books are closed.

Maybe I'll do my own judging - I'd like to see how it compares to the actual resutls.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next