It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:55 pm 

Dear Bonsai Fellows,
I am aware that the contest is also announced in the following portuguese language forums:
www.bonsaimilenar.com
http://bcb.no-ip.com/?info=forum&offset=0
http://www.armleg.com/forum/cbsforum.html
I am about to find the time to translate the rules of the contest to portuguese. Maybe then I can ask Will to post it here?
Regards,
Pedro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm 

Pedro,
This translation would be a great addition to the rules which are currently being translated into Danish and French by others. Thank you for this generous task and for letting us know about the forums that are allowing announcements and discussions of this contest.
Please email me the translation when it is complete and I will gladly post it with the others.
Looking back at the last few posts it is plain that the bonsai community is alive, well and world-wide.

Will

Post subject: Stupid question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 pm 
Editor

For shohin category, considering that books ussually set different sizes when defining shohin. As well as if we compared the sizes acepted know in japan, I would like to know what are the actual maximum sizes (wide and hight) accepted in this competition for this category.
Thanks and let the best tree win!
Enrique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:25 pm 

Excellent question!
Shohin are typically less than 25 cm in height. (Less than 9.84 inches or 10 inches in height for our purposes) but more than 10 cm (More than 3.94 inches or 4 inches for our purposes).
This category includes Gafu-bonsai or Miyabi-bonsai which are high quality bonsai, from less than 25cm (10 inches) in height to 13cm (5.19 inches or 5 inches for our purposes) in height.
See Morten Albeks wonderful article at http://www.shohin-europe.com/ARTICLES-w ... onsai.html for more information.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:14 pm 

Hi All,
I have been following this thread for some time now and I believe that the results will be of interest to everyone who is sincere about bonsai and its future directions.
I am somewhat dissapointed though that no one from Europe has stepped up to the plate to show those of us who are watching any comparison.
Jon
p.s. I'll give a $10.00 casket ticket to the first European to submit a photo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:00 pm 

Jon,
This may be one of the differences we will see in this contest, while North Americans are submitting (and I expect to see many more) now, I feel the Europeans are prepping, cleaning, making perfect, and polishing their entries and I think we will see this in the entries to come.

Will

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 pm 

Will Heath wrote:
Excellent question!
Shohin are typically less than 25 cm in height. (Less than 9.84 inches or 10 inches in height for our purposes) but more than 10 cm (More than 3.94 inches or 4 inches for our purposes).
This category includes Gafu-bonsai or Miyabi-bonsai which are high quality bonsai, from less than 25cm (10 inches) in height to 13cm (5.19 inches or 5 inches for our purposes) in height.
See Morten Albeks wonderful article at http://www.shohin-europe.com/ARTICLES-w ... onsai.html for more information.

Will

Ok Will, regarding shohin size limits - 10 inches in height - how about width?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:57 pm 

Will Heath wrote:
Jon,
This may be one of the differences we will see in this contest, while North Americans are submitting (and I expect to see many more) now, I feel the Europeans are prepping, cleaning, making perfect, and polishing their entries and I think we will see this in the entries to come.

Will

It wouldn't surprise me if you get over 400 entries.
My big question is what to show, and when is the best time to photograph it between now and June 1 and how to get a top notch photograph of it. I'm working the issue (as we say in spacespeak.)

PS Can I post a photo of the JBP on the masthead of AoB? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:11 pm 

Regarding the size of shohin bonsai. Morton Albek has hit the nail squarely on the head. Quote: "The most important thing here is just to have the impression of a tiny tree."
A bonsai may be well under 10 inches tall, but have a huge sumo style trunk, and have no feeling of "shohin-ness".
I'm sure the judges will consider this.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 pm 
Editor

Anyone care to define Shoninness? I thought the idea of a small bonsai is the concept of designing a tree that has the proportions of a larger tree?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:43 pm 

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Ok Will, regarding shohin size limits - 10 inches in height - how about width?

From the Japanese to the Europeans, to the Americans, artists have always defined Shohin by height, usually from 8 to 10 inches, width has never been an issue contended with much, at least in my research. Although a tree may well be extremely out of proportion and still be under the size limit, I think the scores will reflect such.
The measurement is from the rim of the pot to the apex, on cascades, the same guidelines apply.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:49 pm 

Rob wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if you get over 400 entries.

I believe you may well be right. I also think we will see many quality bonsai that have not been seen before, one example may well be the Hornbeam entry.

Rob wrote:
PS Can I post a photo of the JBP on the masthead of AoB? :)

Of course, it is your tree.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:27 am 

While I appreciate the Blind Entry concept, so far there is no mystery to the Artists who have entered.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am 
Editor

Mark Arpag wrote:
While I appreciate the Blind Entry concept, so far there is no mystery to the Artists who have entered.
Mark

It's funny, but true.
May be this is a good thing: bonsai, just as the other art forms, has the imprint of the artist's style.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:10 pm 
Editor

Mark Arpag wrote:
Mark

That may be true but is it equally true for the judges we have selected? They may not be familiar with a lot of North American and European Bonsai and the artists that made them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next