It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Throw Away Chinese Elm
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:08 pm 

When I bought this ch. elm ten years ago, the vendor couldn't understand why I would want something from his reject pile, when he had all those nice $500 ones sitting and looking real pretty on the top benches.
Each year this one gets just a little better with age.
I'm not sure about this pot though. This has been the hardest tree for me to be satisified with a pot. I've tried all kinds.

Attachments:
vitelm.jpg [52.14 KiB]
Downloaded 796 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:11 pm 
Editor

Hi Thomas,
I really like this tree because of the way it looks absolutely massive, not massive like a huge bonsai but massive like an old tree that's been growing in a park for 250 years. It seems to just tower incredibly high, but it's also sturdy and powerful in form. Very nice.
As for pots -- I can see how that could be very tricky. I don't know what to suggest. I would have thought a lower and darker oval, but I suspect you've tried that.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:15 pm 

Glad you like it Carl.
Your comment about looking massive kind of tickled me because this is one of my smaller trees , and for sure my smallest ch. elm, coming in at about 10 or 11 inches in ht. I guess kind of hit it on the mark with the illusion thing huh?
Take Care
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 pm 
Editor

...and to think that I assumed it was three feet tall, and made to look 200 ft tall.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 pm 

I went ahead and decided to use a round shallower pot to hopefully compliment the round crown of the tree instead of the deeper square pot
I know most people would like to see a round pot used only for trees that are straight upright or literati, but I like the way these two go together.
I'm open for suggestions if anyone feels this just doesn't work.
Thomas

Attachments:
velm.jpg
velm.jpg [ 38.91 KiB | Viewed 3599 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:06 pm 

Hi Thomas
I think you're headed in the right direction by getting away from a strong rectangular pot for this tree. However, IMHO. I feel that the pot you've selected is too deep and heavy feeling for the tree.
I made a virtual by using Photoshop to separate the tree from the pot.
Then I changed the proportions of the pot by disabling the "constrain proportions" function of image resizing on Pnotoshop. This created a shallower oval version of the same pot. Then I merged the images together.
What are your thoughts on this approach?
Regards
Mike

Attachments:
velm_virt_2.jpg
velm_virt_2.jpg [ 61.49 KiB | Viewed 3537 times ]

Last edited by Mike Page on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 pm 

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the input. I have so many trees that I wish I could use shallower pots with, but because of the tremendous heat here in the summer, and for the prolonged period that it stays hot, It's just not possible for me. I try to get them as shallow as possible, but I don't want to push it either.
The pot that it's now in is a bit more shallower than the previous one as I'm sure you can tell, and it somewhat satisifies my taste. The one you did up for me is bit too shallow for my liking. I tried to consider an oval pot for this tree also and it didn't suit me either. This has been the hardest tree for me to match up with a pot.
I'm hoping others will give some input to your suggested virtual, and see what we can come up with.
Thanks again Mike.
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:25 pm 

Hi Thomas,
Like Carl, I also had this feeling of a massive tree when I saw the tree in the rectangular pot. Though a round pot is what everyone would suggest (including myself) but after seeing the pot in your round container and Mike's virtual........I think the recangular pot suited much better, though with a lesser height will match fine. Or maybe the angle at which the tree was shot gives it a very masculine feeling.
It you have to use a round pot, then perhaps a matte or terracota finish in burnt sienna or ochre would be a better option, I think. A very good tree all the same.
Regards,
Shaukat

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]