It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: bonsaisan shohin Kalanchoe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am 

this is my Shohin Kalanchoe

I like to keep this kind of easy to use because
Whatever flowers

The form is simple and fast development

I designed and made the pot

Type: Kalanchoe
Flowerpot: Bonsaisan
Height: 13cm

Post subject: Re: bonsaisan shohin Kalanchoe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 am 

Orçun Okul wrote:
this is my Shohin Kalanchoe

I like to keep this kind of easy to use because
Whatever flowers

The form is simple and fast development

I designed and made the pot

Type: Kalanchoe
Flowerpot: Bonsaisan
Height: 13cm

Hello Mr. Orçun

Making a bonsai requires a lot more than planting a plant in a pot, also when both pot and flowers are beautiful.
A bonsai is a miniature living sculpture presenting the image of a tree, also in the Mame and Shohin-bonsai version.
I think it will be impossible to use a Kalanchoe for bonsai. Use instead more suitable material. Good luck with your efforts.

Best regards
Morten Albek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 pm 
Editor

I keep coming accross this idea - growing various plants in carefully assorted substrate [including pottery], with the goal to create a living 'object' intended as a visual aid for the contemplation of nature.

There are quite a few variations on the theme - some established practices have recognizable names ['kusamono' comes to mind], others are innovations of particular artists meant as an introduction to or simply a side-kick to practicing bonsai. Sometimes, this idea seems to have been developed commercially as a deferential shorthand version of the [seriously] more demanding bonsai practice, one that does not require diminishing the notion of bonsai for the sake of a broader appeal [a fallacy turned on a few faces around this forum].

I have no 'bottom line' to propose to this. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm 

Ana Veler wrote:
I keep coming accross this idea - growing various plants in carefully assorted substrate [including pottery], with the goal to create a living 'object' intended as a visual aid for the contemplation of nature.

There are quite a few variations on the theme - some established practices have recognizable names ['kusamono' comes to mind], others are innovations of particular artists meant as an introduction to or simply a side-kick to practicing bonsai. Sometimes, this idea seems to have been developed commercially as a deferential shorthand version of the [seriously] more demanding bonsai practice, one that does not require diminishing the notion of bonsai for the sake of a broader appeal [a fallacy turned on a few faces around this forum].

I have no 'bottom line' to propose to this. Just a thought...

Ana

My comment is precisely aimed at the posted item presented as a Shohin. The piece is more in the accent category and I do think it is a pity if people do not understand the differences.
Shortcuts to bonsai are not helping the art to develop, so better tell the truth and seeking the best possible, also when it is not easy. The Kalanchoe can with a little time and trimming be developed as accent - Shitakusa. Kusamono are grasses in pots.

Regards
Morten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 pm 
Editor

Morten Albek wrote:

Shortcuts to bonsai are not helping the art to develop, so better tell the truth and seeking the best possible...

This does sound like a good bottom line...

... it doesn't take allot of imagination to see that these other things - even when called by their own names - draw something from the bonsai lore, but give less back, whatever that might be. It is pretty much the story of a couple of such contemporary inventions started by older bonsai houses, come to think of it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]