It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Big Myrtle in New Pot
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:13 pm 

I comissioned potter Dale Cochoy of Wild Things Bonsai to make a special pot for my myrtle. Today I instslled tree in pot. Not the best season for repotting, but I was very careful to not disturb the roots any more than necessary.
Height from table is 39 inches.
Mike

Attachments:
myrtle_dalepot_07_resize.jpg [100.5 KiB]
Downloaded 876 times

Post subject: nice!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:22 am 
very nice tree. i love thet red bark.
all my mytle have a wonderful dark flaking bark. i hve never seen thet red bark on a myrtle.
is this Myrtus communis ? did you peel the tree's bark?
thanks ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:02 pm 

zenbonsai,
Please take a moment to read our policies concerning user names here at AoB ( http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59 ).
You can make the necessary changes by going to your Cpanel.
Thanks,

Will Heath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:07 pm 
Editor

Hi Mike,
Here is my short critique of the myrtle.
The main interest of the tree is the powerful nebari.
Unfortunately, the rest of the tree from the nebari up, doesn't do a good job keeping the viewer's focus on the above mentioned feature. The worst part is the straigth and taper-less trunk. It is straight and uninteresting, as if it had nothing to do with the nice nebari. It also has a fault what I call a "bottleneck", with no transition between the thick nebari and the much thinner trunk. I know that it is hard to fix this problem, since the myrtle doesn't like to send out new growth from this old trunk. (I had a similar "bottleneck" on some of my old olives, and I ended up doing some serious carving on the nebari, in order to erase the bottleneck look).
The solution would be that the crown above could be designed in a manner that hides this uninteresting trunk, with branches reaching downward, and bringing the viewer's focus down low, towards the interesting nebari. The crown could also be developed a little more, upward, giving it a little more structure and interest.
As it is right now, the foliage leaves the trunk completely exposed.
So, to me, the end result is not too convincing. I think that this tree has more potential than what it shows at this time.
Best regards,
Attila

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]